Christoval Baptist Church as it appears today
The Christoval Baptist Church is one of the oldest churches in the area and has a long and distinguished history. The church has been honored by the State of Texas by the creation of a Historical Marker for the church. The Historical Marker is pictured at below.
The marker is transcribed as follows:
Christoval Baptist Historical Marker
Christoval Baptist Church
Settlement of this area began in the 1860′s and increased in the 1870′s and 1880′s following the establishment of Fort Concho in Nearby San Angelo. The Town of Christoval began to develop by 1885.
The South Concho Baptist Congregation was originated in 1889 with four charter members. The Rev. T. R. Leggett served as first pastor, and the congregation met in the Cumberland Presbyterian Church, built by a group of citizens and used as a union church. Located on a hill on the corner of present Church Street and Rudd Road, the union church was the site of regular worship services, with various pastors officiating.
The name of the South Concho Baptist Congregation was changed to the Christoval Baptist Church in 1906. Four years later the membership voted to build its own facility, and an octagonal wooden tabernacle was erected.
In 1911 the first annual Summer Christoval Baptist Encampment was held on the banks of the South Concho River. A new church building was dedicated in 1925 during the August Camp Meeting. Due to financial strains of the Depression, the campground was sold in 1932. This church remains an important part of the Christoval Community.
An important part of Church History was its large Baptist Encampments at the nearby South Concho River during the summers. Crowds of in excess of 10,000 would attend from across the country. The picture below shows one of the encampment meetings.
Baptist Encampment in Christoval circa ~1910
Christoval Baptist Encampment Meeting circa 1920